Email Writing Exercises
it is for email writing practice...
Email Writing Exercises with Solutions Using the following phrases, write an email (80 – 120 words). 1. You are a part of corporate communication team in your company. The working time period is revised as 8:30 am to 5:00pm. Mail to the employees in your company informing the same. by 30 minutes to avoid traffic - effect from next week - lunch duration - revised working time - reduced by 10 minutes - free breakfast - office will start earlier till the end of rainy season - will be in effect Dear All, This is to inform you that the present office timings are revised as 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. The new timings are made earlier by 30 minutes to avoid traffic and will be in effect from next week onwards. The lunch duration in the revised working time is reduced by 10 minutes. A free breakfast will be provided to all the employees as the office will start earlier by half an hour. The change in timings will remain applicable till the end of rainy season and will be in effect until further information in this regard. Thanks and Regards, ABC Corporate Communication Team
2. Mail to your parents describing the experience related to your first campus interview. 80 minutes - tensed - formal shirt - negative marking polish - write a program - early in the morning written test - four member panel - explain - offer very happy. Dear Ma and Papa, Yesterday I have attended my first campus interview. During the first round they conducted an aptitude test of 80 minutes duration. I was feeling very tensed but I qualified the test and shortlisted for the interview. We had to wear formal shirt and trousers. There was negative marking even for improper polish on our shoes. In technical interview, I was asked to write a program. We started early in the morning with the written test first and it was almost late evening by the time I faced HR interview which was taken by a four member panel. They explained me about the company’s offer. I would be very happy if I will be selected in this company. Regards, ABC
3. Mail to a company requesting them to sponsor your college cultural festival. pdf file - reputed institute - 10 days - 200 college sparkling performance - extravaganza - sponsor the event - request appointment - brochure attached . Dear Sir, Please find attached a pdf file regarding information about the cultural festival of our college. Ours is a reputed institute of central India. We are organizing a 10 days festival in which 200 college students will be participating. There will be a sparkling performance by our college’s best dancer and musical and dance extravaganza will go on during the entire festival. We would be very grateful if you sponsor the event. I sincerely request appointment at your convenience for further discussion. Please find a brochure attached for more details regarding festival schedule and sponsorship categories. Yours sincerely, ABC
4. Mail to your final year project guide explaining the delay in the project submission. submission date - foreign edition books - Schedule 10th June - laptop crash - delay in printing - overall status - 9 days - approve the extension - shortage of money . Respected Sir, I am writing to request for extending the submission date of my project as it will be delayed due to couple of reasons. Firstly, I need to refer few foreign edition books but they will be available only after fifteen days in our library and as per the schedule, I have to submit my project on 10th June. Moreover, recently my laptop crashed and it will take some time to recover the lost data so there will be further delay in printing. As per the overall status, I need 9 days more to complete the project. I sincerely request you to approve the extension. Due to shortage of money, I am unable to buy new books, so I have to wait for the library copies to complete my work. Yours sincerely, ABC
5. Write an email to your team member appreciating his hard work which resulted in a completion of your team project on time thank you - keep it up - client - week-end - night appreciating the work done , hard work - Customer billing project - beyond call of duty - extra working hours Dear ABC, Thank you and keep it up for the successful and timely completion of our project. The client is also very happy and satisfied with the work. I am aware that you worked on week-end and till late night during last few days. The client is also appreciating the work done by you and your hard work and dedicated efforts lead to the timely completion of Customer billing project. You have set a good example of working beyond call of duty and putting extra working hours in order to meet the project deadlines. Many thanks again for the good work. Best Regards, ABC
6. Write an e-mail to request to conduct a training session for your associates using the following phrases, with a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 150 words. training – sixteen associates – tenth – twelfth August – three days – communication skills – assertiveness – telephone etiquette – e-mail writing – confirm – two days – clarifications.
Dear Sir, I request you to conduct a soft skills training program for my sixteen associates from tenth to twelfth August. Please plan for a three days training program that should cover sessions on communication skills, assertiveness, telephone etiquette and e-mail writing. The sessions can be conducted from 10 am to 5 pm with half an hour lunch break and must include tutorials as well as some practical exercises and team games. Kindly confirm the schedule at least two days in advance and also inform about your specific requirements. Please let me know if you need further clarifications in this matter. Thanks for your support and looking forward to have a useful learning program. Thanks and Regards, ABC
7. Write a mail to Mr. Thejha requesting him to join a meeting Malaria – a weeks’ time – out of office – Monday – completion – back up – apologize – request – work overnight Dear Thejha, I request you to join the project review meeting on my behalf. I have been suffering from Malaria from a weeks’ time and will be – out of office till– Monday. The XYZ project is in – completion stage and its final review is scheduled on Friday. The complete – back up of the project and its current status is available on my computer system at office. I– apologize for making this– request at a very short notice. Please convey to the client that once I join duties, I will – work overnight to cover up for the lost working hours and will deliver the project on time. Thanks and Regards, ABC
8. You are the project leader for a team of 20 members. As the team members are not submitting the weekly time sheets regularly, you need to email them stressing the need to submit without fail. Using the following phrases, write an email with a minimum of 70 words and a maximum of 100 words to your team members informing the same.
can be accessed online – lead to loss of pay – every week – do not default – used to bill client – actual working hours – by Friday – failure to adhere – time sheet filling application Dear Team, I am writing to remind you that the weekly time sheets that can be accessed online are required to be submitted regularly. Failure to regular submission of timesheets will – lead to loss of pay for the team member. Please note that the timesheets are to be sent – every week to the client, so– do not default in its regular submission. This data is used to bill client the– actual working hours put in by individual team members. I expect to receive the timesheets every week– by Friday before seven pm and– failure to adhere this requirement will have serious consequences. A copy of – time sheet filling application is attached for your reference. Thanks and Regards, Project Leader
9. 3 weeks – belong to XYZ project – close to office – reach Seattle – this Saturday – duration of stay – book hotel – traveller’s cheque or cash – ensure port of departure is Chennai – prefer transit via Frankfurt
Dear Madam, I am writing to inform you that I will be travelling to US for 3 weeks. I belong to XYZ project. While onsite, I will prefer accommodation somewhere close to office. I have to reach Seattle by this Saturday and will work in our US office for the entire duration of stay. Please book hotel for me and issue traveller’s cheque or cash of USD 2000. As I will be boarding the flight from Chennai, please ensure port of departure is Chennai and also note that I will prefer transit via Frankfurt. Kindly confirm my bookings and other arrangements by tomorrow.
Thanks and Regards, ABC Project Lead, XYZ Project
10. Mail to your client Margaret, explaining that the accounts receivable project is late. Sign the email as Sandra. Accounts receivable project – delayed – project leader – ill – hepatitis – 3 weeks – expect – delay – project – one week – me know – if need clarifications
Dear Margaret, I am writing to inform you that the Accounts receivable project will be delayed further because the project leader is ill and has been suffering from hepatitis since last 3 weeks. He is expected to be on leave for another two weeks. Meanwhile, his responsibilities are given to a senior team member and the team is working continuously on the project. As per the present status, we expect a delay in the submission of project by one week. Let me know if you need clarifications regarding the project schedule. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Thanks and Regards, Sandra
Mail regarding Thank you for the interview: Thank you – time and consideration – extended – interview with you yesterday – opportunity – my experience – my future goals – hearing from you – wish to thank – courtesy.
Dear Sir, Thank you for time and consideration that you have extended during the interview with you yesterday for the position of Senior Software Engineer. I think this opportunity matches my experience and is well aligned with my future goals. I assure you that given a chance I will work with complete dedication and sincerity and prove to be an asset to the organization. I hope to hearing from you soon and once again wish to thank you for your courtesy and valuable time. Yours sincerely, ABC
12. Write an e-mail minimum 70 words to the manager of a company called ITEX, Complaining about a delivery service bought a product , didnot work , called customer care , put me through automated teleservices , on hold , for 19 minutes , got disconnected , wrote an e-mail , reply , sorted out , 2 days , problem still unresolvedl Dear Sir, I bought a product Sony ear phones on 10th September from your Ujjain showroom. The ear phones did not worked when I tried them at home. When I called customer care, they put me through automated teleservices and I was kept on hold for 19 minutes after which the line got disconnected. Subsequently, I wrote an email also and received a reply that the matter will be sorted out in 2 days but the problem is still unresolved. Kindly look into this matter urgently and reply. Thanks and Regards, ABC
13. You are the project leader for a team and plan to take your team out for a movie. Using the following phrases, write an email with a minimum of 70 words and a maximum of 100 words to your team members informing the same. at your residence , decided based on the poll result , on friday , team building activity , forum mall , dinner at Hotel Chevron , will drop , answer the poll immediately , confirm your participation , company cab Dear All, I am glad to inform you that as a result of successful completion of our team project, I am planning a team outing. Kindly fill in this online poll regarding your suggestions. The movie will be decided based on the poll result. This outing is planned on Friday and I am sure it will be a great team building activity organized at forum mall. The movie show will be followed by dinner at Hotel Chevron and then the company vehicle will drop you. Please answer the poll immediately to confirm your participation and also tick for the option of company cab, if you need this facility. Regards, Project Leader
14. Write an e-mail to client to invite him to the party using the following phrases, with a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 150 words. pleasure, mobile alerts project, Tuesday , eight pm , Hilton downtown ,dinner , meal constraint , successful project , celebrate , hard work, if any , looking forward Dear Sir, With great pleasure, I would like to invite you to the celebration party of mobile alerts project. The party is organized on Tuesday at eight pm at Hotel Hilton downtown in their dinner hall. Please let me know if you have any meal constraint. The party is organized for the successful project completion and to celebrate the hardwork and dedication put in by all the team members. Please inform if you have any problems. Looking forward to celebrate this success with you. Thanks and Regards, ABC
Few more exercises: 15. Write a mail to your colony head for clearing the location as there is mess around and garbage is not properly placed. 16. Write a mail to your manager for informing about the change in timings of lunch as discussed in the meeting. 17. Write a mail to your training coordinator for the problems in the management of training. 18. bring- camera- celebrations – cake – instruct – security personnel – not working area – only near pool – obliged.