Difference Between Sayana and Nirayana Systems
Western astrologers follow a system of presenting the planets as they are in the sky, which is known as sayana system. H...
MA-ASTROLOGY -II YEAR - PAPER- II - LESSON - 9 NOTES PREPARED BY SREENIVAS DESABHATLA
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAYANA AND NIRAYANA SYSTEMS 1. There are several differences between Western and Hindu methods. Western astrologers follow a system of presenting the planets as they are in the sky, which is known as sayana system. Hindu astrologers follow Nirayana system wherein the shift of the earth is taken off called ayanamsha.
Earth would not occupy the same position after say, 366 days.
There will be a difference of approximately 50" of arc per year.
As this reference plane
will be changing, Hindus follow fixed zodiac. The time when the two zodiacs coincided (0 degree Ayanamsha) is a point of dispute. 2. There are broadly speaking 3 Ayanamshas, Raman, KP and Lahiri. By my experience spread over several years, I finally decided to adopt Lahiri Ayanamsha - after conducting many observations on the charts, which would remarkably change when different Ayanamshas were used. For convenience sake, the Lahiri ayanamsha found in ephemeris are rounded off. I would rather calculate the desired ayanamsha on an excel sheet and use that in my calculations. Fortunately, some software have provision to make corrections to Ayanamsha. 3. In Hindu system, there are several time scales called dashas. These are sub divided into antardasas (bhuktis). Some of the dashas are: Vimshottari (120 years), Tribhagi (wherein Vishottari periods are divided by 3), Astottari (108 years), Shodashottari (116 years), Chaturvimshottari (124 years), Shatabdika (100 years), Shashtyayini (60 years), Dwadashottari (112 years) in addition to Kalachakra dasha, Chara, Stira, Nirayana-sula Dashas of Jaimini system. Vimshottari dasa that treats the human life span to 120 years is most reliable one and is also widely followed. 4. My rationalist friend (who has kept One Lakh Rupees challenge to astrologers) finds that Astrologers use these time scales to "suite their needs". I would propose an analogy with the transmission of light. Light traveling in a straight-line principle explains how a sharp shadow is formed while the wave theory of transmission explains whom the same light moves to form semi-shadows like the illumination inside the house! Nirayana-sula dasha sees the life in a different perspective whereas Vimshottari in other! Being a practicing Astrologer of long standing, I find that Vimshottari dasha covers most aspects of life. Perhaps, you may like other systems as well. Each period begins with reference to the Moon's position in a certain star.
5. The results of the periods and sub periods are got by a study of position, inter relationship, ownership, association etc., this time scale is not found in the Western system. Jaimini system Employs Stira, Chara and Sula Dashas and in this system, the signs (rasis) aspect each other and not planets! My rationalist friend has not thought of this concept as he has gone through Jaimini Sutra. 6. Divisional charts are derived from the basic chart. Navamsha, Dasamsha, Saptamsha etc, are generated by certain rules and these Divisional Charts are used to study a particular branch of life- like Dasamsha is used to study the professional front of the native. 7. Followers of Jaimini system as well as Sayana (Western) System are very few in India.
Hindu system, the transit of planets are considered with reference to the Moon sign. In Western System there are no such elaborate literature and it is merely aspects formed by the planets with reference to cusp points. Here also, 180 degree (mutual aspect) is considered as "difficult' (evil) transit, whereas in the Hindu astrology, mutual aspect is not considered so. In western system, the mutual aspect of Guru And Shukra (Both Benefic Planets) is said to be evil one. But, in Hindu astrology it is an excellent aspect. 8. In my humble opinion., I found the Hindu method of Transit more accurate. Hindu astrology has well developed methods for Matching Charts For Marriage/ Business Partnership. Election astrology (muhurta) is well developed in Hindu astrology by study of stellar behavior. In Western System, the matching is done merely by characteristics of elements of signs like Watery, Earthy, Fiery, Airy. etc, and Muhurtha is done with reference to Significators of the natal chart. 9. In Western system the Annual chart used to find the results of a year from birth day to next birth day is merely a simple mathematical progression of natal chart. But, the Hindu system uses different charts as on birth day, a chart is made for the time when Sun enter the same position as in the natal chart and position of other planets are found out. Even a dasha system is used. 10. When it comes to mundane charts, in Western world charts are made for a new year which eventually begins at zero hours standard time of a country which is in no way related to planetary movement, not even on Sun! Hindus celebrate new year Ugadi when Sun and Moon are together i.e. the new year beings when the distance between Sun and Moon is zero degree and there should be a full moon in the star Chitra afterwards. 11. I am not belittling the Western system, I am comparing the tool boxes. Hindus have a good tool box and the Westerner's is still primitive. Astrologer should know when and how to use them. Otherwise tool box becomes a show piece like the big law manuals in my lawyer's office - unused, untouched but useful to impress others! 12. There is so much we should learn from our western counterparts. We simply put the board "so-and-so astrology research centre". What research went on by Dr. so and so
Ph.D? He was busy matching the charts. The name of his studio was very impressive. Even after 25 years of practice, I can not call myself a research scholar. I am glad many of my juniors are in research or have already completed
SAYANA SYSTEM 1. Western System follow Movable Zodiac
NIRAYANA SYSTEM 1. Indian System (Vedic) follow Fixed Zodiac
2. This time scale is not found in the
2. There are several time scales called
Western system. They use Progressed
dashas for Timing of Event. These are
Horoscope for timing of Events.
sub divided into antardasas (bhuktis) for Fine tuning.
3. No Dasa Systems like Vedic Astrology
3. There are several Dasa Systems called Vimshottari (120 years), Tribhagi (wherein vishottari periods are divided by 3), Astottari (108 years), Shodashottari (116 years), Chaturvimshottari (124 years), Shatabdika (100 years), Shashtyayini (60 years), Dwadashottari (112 years) in addition to Kalachakra dasha, Chara, Stira, Nirayana-Sula Dashas of Jaimini system.
4. This time scale is not found in the Western system.
4. Each period begins with reference to the Moon's position in a certain star. The results of the periods and sub periods are got by a study of position, inter relationship, ownership, association etc
5. In Western system there are no such
5. The transit of all the planets are
elaborate literature and it is merely
considered with reference to the Moon
aspects formed by the planets with
reference to cusp points. 6. The Birth sign is the Sun sign and decided as per the date of birth and
6. Star in which Moon is posited becomes the Natal sign which is the starting point
Month 7. W.A. doesn't have Varga Charts for
used in Transit 7. Divisional charts which are derived from
narrowing the Prediction to Microcosm.
the Natal Chart like Navamsha,
But recently Some Western Astrologers
Dasamsha, Saptamsha etc, are
started using the Varga Charts in a
generated and these divisional charts
different name as 9th Harmonic Chart
are used to study a particular branch of
12th Harmonic Chart for Navamsa and
life. Like Dasamsha is used to study the
professional front of the native, Navamsa for Marriage, Saptamsa for Children etc,
8. Two Lumineries-Sun-Moon, 8 Planets -
8. Two Lumineries, 5 Planets- Mercury-
Mercury- Venus- Mars-Jupiter- Saturn-
Venus- Mars- Jupiter-Saturn, and two
Uranus- Neptune- Pluto - In total 10
Nodal Points called as Rahu and Ketu-
Planets are Used in Predictive
In Total 9 Planents are used in the
Astrology. He speaks for himself. He
Indian Nirayana System for Prediction.
avoids quoting without his own
There is no mention of the newly
discovered Planets anywhere in the Indian system. 9. But recently some Astrologers combine both the system and use Sayana House Division in a Nirayana Chart and extra saturnine planets.
9. Benefic and malefic Planets are as per Aspect
10. Jupiter, Venus, Waxing Moon and Un associated Mercury are considered Benefic and the rest are considered as Malefic.
10. Aspects are considered between the Longitudes of the Planets 11. In Western Astrology Trine (120degrees)
11. Where as in Indian Astrology the Aspects are between Rasis. 12. There are special aspects to Jupiter,
and Sextile aspects give Good results,
Mars and Saturn which are considered
where as Square Aspect is Bad
as Full. Aspects of Natural Benefic is Good, whereas Aspects of Natural malefics is bad
12. Regarding Aspects also there is
13. Whereas in the Indian astrology, mutual
difference. 180 degree (mutual aspect)
aspect is not considered so. The mutual
is considered as "difficult' (evil) transit,
aspect between Jupiter and Moon is called as Gajakesari Yoga which gives
excellant results. 13. In Western System, the mutual aspect of Guru And Shukra is said to be evil one
14. But, in Hindu astrology Guru And Shukra are benefic planets. and the Aspect is an excellent one
14. In Western system, the matching is
15. Hindu astrology has well developed
done merely by characteristics of
methods for matching charts for
Elements of signs like Watery, Fiery,
marriage/business partnership. Like
Airy and Earthy.
Ashta Koota Guna Matching and Dasa Koota Guna Matching.
15. 10th House is considered for Father
16. 9 th House is for Father and Sun as karaka for Father and Moon as Karaka for Mother.
16. Social conditions of different places
17. In Nirayana System the Horoscope is
have a bearing upon the Prediction.
casted to the place of birth and is
(May be different from Birth Place)
followed for the future prediction though the place of residence is different.
17. In Sayana System GMT is taken as the basis for calculating the sidereal time.
18. Actual position of planets without any correction is followed in Panchangas with glaring difference in thithis.
18. The Day and date change from midnight
19. The day is reckoned from Sunrise to the
in this system and there is no basis with
next day Sunrise in the Indian system.
reference to the Planets,not even the
Sun is considered the Soul and the
prime indicator of Kala Purusha.
19. In Western system Raphael Ephemeris is used 20. Starting point is the beginning of the Cusp. 21. Planet in their own House is the Strongest 22. No Friendsship or enemity between
20. Lahiri Ephemeris is taken as the Standard one in India. 21. The starting point of the Lagna and other Bhava is the Mid Cusp 22. Exaltation of the planet is considered as the Strongest. 23. Natural Friendship and enemity between
Planets. Only Aspects are considered
Planets are considered. Ex. Sun and
as Good and Bad.
Saturn are natural enemies.
23. Planetary Ownership is given to Outer
24. Whereas in Indian system Scorpio Lord
Planets to Saturn's Orbit. Scorpio Lord
is Mars- Aquarius Lord is Saturn and -
is Pluto - Aquarius Lord is Uranus and -
Pisces Lord is Jupiter. There is no
Pisces Lord is Neptune.
mention of the newly discovered Planets anywhere in the Indian system.
24. Election is done with reference to significators of the natal chart.
25. Election astrology (muhurta) is well developed in Hindu astrology by study of stellar behavior.
25. In Western system the annual chart
26. But, the Hindu system uses different
used to find the results of a year from
charts as on birth day, a chart is made
birth day to next birth day is merely a
for the time when Sun enter the same
simple mathematical progression of
position as in the natal chart and
position of other planets are found out. Even a dasha system is used
26. When it comes to mundane charts, in
27. He will say, "My Guru teached me like
western world charts are made for a
this but I do not know whether it
new year which eventually begins at
works". He speaks for himself. He
zero hours standard time of a country
avoids quoting without his own
which is in no way related to planetary
movement, not even on Sun! 27. A western astrologer uses the word 'research' with due respect and care. .
28. Mangalik Dosha (or Kuja Dosha) is used to know something about the future Marriage Partner
Not only in astrology in any field, the westerner has lot of dedication and tries to achieve near perfection. 28. The W.A. uses Synastry for matching of haroscopes. They don't give much importance to Kuja Dosha. or ill placing of planets .