Calculating Poker Probabilities With a Simple Excel Spreadsheet _ Poker Savvy

February 23, 2018 | Author: lysakowski | Category: Texas Hold 'Em, Poker, Comparing Card Games, Gaming, Gambling Games
Share Embed Donate


Short Description

Download Calculating Poker Probabilities With a Simple Excel Spreadsheet _ Poker Savvy...

Description

3/20/2011

Calculating poker probabilities with a s…

Due to recent regulations in the USA, we are unable to offer you free gifts for trying poker rooms. However, you can still enjoy our selection of poker training videos! Feel free to contact us at Support with any questions.

PokerSavvy Forum | PokerSavvy Blog

Username

| Language:

English

••••••••

GO

Remember me

Home

How It Works

Poker Articles Home

Poker Rooms

Promotions

Shop

Support

VIP Program

Calculating poker probabilities with a simple Excel spreadsheet 4 Reviews (Login to Write a Review)

Search Share:

Digg

Facebook

Twitter

Google

E-mail 0 tw eet

POKER QUIZZES

POKERSAVVY'S GUIDE TO TEXAS HOLD EM

ARTICLES BY GAME

» Texas Hold'em » Omaha, Stud, Razz, 27... ARTICLES BY GAME TYPE

» Cash Game » Tournament » Sit-n-Go ARTICLES BY SKILL LEVEL

» Beginner » Advanced

Poker is a game of probabilities. Every time when you put money into the pot, you have to ask yourself: what are my odds to scoop the pot? How much to call this bet? How much to bet so that my opponent can not profitably call with his draw? A lot of questions that are posted on poker forums are of the type: what is the chance THIS or THAT happens? Here are a couple of examples: 1) I have KK and my opponent calls my raise with an Ace. What is the chance that he pairs his ace on the flop?

» Math & Probability » Psychology & Tells » Fun Stuff » Home Games » Money & Finances » Playing Live » Playing Online » Poker on TV » Poker Players » Poker Video Clips » Travel / Locales » WSOP » Miscellaneous

Your online resource for growing your bankroll. Here are some top tips: » Introduction to PokerSavvy » Choosing Your First Online Poker Room » Choosing Your Game » Choosing a Stake

2) I have a couple of small suited cards. What is the chance that exactly three cards of that suit appear on the board (and not four, because that would mean trouble). 3) I have two unpaired cards. What is the chance that I flop two pair or trips? 4) My opponent raises and could have any tw o cards doing that. I have a small pair, what is the chance that I flop a set? 5) My opponent raises and I know he only does that w ith AA/KK/QQ or AK. I have a small pair, what is the chance I flop a set?

ARTICLES BY TOPIC

BONUS GUIDE

6) I have QJ on a T62 flop. What is the chance I make a straight by the river? For those among you w ith little affinity for mathematics, these questions could be above your head. So I´m going to provide you with a simple tool that can make these calculations for you. Create an Excel spreadsheet like this: In cell H2: the number of unknow n cards remaining in the deck, In cell H3: the number of outs remaining in the deck,

Texas Hold'em Guide Get the best tips and tricks on playing Texas Hold'em Poker. » Texas Hold'em Rules » Pre-Flop Strategy » Post-Flop Strategy » Texas Hold'em Odds

In cell H4: the number of cards to draw , In cell H5: the number of outs you want to draw in those cards, In cell H6: the probability that this happens. Paste into this cell the following formula: =FACT(H2-H4)*FACT(H3)*FACT(H2-

REVIEWS

H3)*FACT(H4)/FACT(H2)/FACT(H3-H5)/FACT(H2-H3-

» Book Reviews » Movie Reviews » DVD Reviews » Software Reviews

Of course you can use other cells in the spreadsheet to store the data, but

H4+H5)/FACT(H5)/FACT(H4-H5)

make sure you adjust the formula accordingly. Now lets tackle the problems. 1) I have KK and my opponent has Ax, so there are 48 cards remaining in the deck (H2=48). Three of these are aces (H3=3), we w ill draw three cards (the flop, H4=3) and we want to know the chance that one ace appears (H5=1). In H6 the probability appears: 0.1717 or 17.17%. 2) 50 cards remain in the deck (H2=50), 11 are of that suit (H3=11), draw 5 cards (H4=5) and draw exactly three of that suit (H5=3). The chance is 5.77% 3) We´re getting the hang of it. H2=50, H3=6, H4=3 and H5=2. The chance is 3.37%. This is a pretty important number for those among you that call raises w ith stuff like suited connectors. At least 1 in 30 times the flop will make you happy (add to this the flops that give you straights/flushes or a good draw).

pokersavvy.com/…/calculating-poker-p…

1/3

3/20/2011

Calculating poker probabilities with a s… 4) I have a small pair and my opponent raises ATC. He could have the same hand as me and the chance to flop a set would be zero! If he has one of that card, the chance to flop a set will go dow n significantly. How do w e handle this problem? The correct way is to assume that his hole cards are still in the deck. 48 cards remain in the deck, but there are 50 unknown cards and we have to fill in H2=50. The rest is easy: H3=2, H4=3, H5=1. The chance is 11.51%. 5) This is slightly different. We know the opponent has a big hand and all our outs remain in the deck. Whether he has AA/KK/QQ or AK doesn´t matter for the chance to flop our set. H2=48, H3=2, H4=3 and H5=1. The chance is 11.97%. The chance goes up a little, due to your knowledge of your opponents play. 6) This one is pretty hard, but doable with a little logic. The turn has to give us a straight draw , so it has to be a 8, 9, K or A. That is 16 outs. Calculate the chance with H2=47, H3=16, H4=1, H5=1. The chance is 34.04%. You could have calculated this yourself w ithout the spreadsheet (=16/47). OK, so now w e have a straight draw , what do we do with the river? Well, we have an open ender (8 outs) if the turn is a 9 or K or a gutshot (4 outs) if the turn is an 8 or A. On average we have 6 outs. H2=46, H3=6, H4=1, H5=1. The probability is 13.04% (or 6/46). Combine the turn and river probabilities: multiply 16/47 with 6/46 and you have the answer for your backdoor straight draw: 4.44%. Better than you think, hey? These w ere a couple of examples that show the potency of the spreadsheet, combined with your ability of using it correctly. I hope the tool will prove useful for your post-bead-beat analysis!

Share:

Digg

Facebook

Comments (4)

Tw itter

Google

E-mail 0 tw eet

Login to Add a Comment »

This should be a welcome help for many players who are in the process of mastering this game. Well written, concise stuff. Rating: by KingCur on November 27, 2007 (login to reply)

Login or register to post comments

This looks really cool. First off, I think the easiest thing to get going is to download the example spreadsheet. I'll assume you know very little about Excel. This is very great. excel development Rating: by ExcelT8 on July 11, 2010 (login to reply)

Login or register to post comments

Somethings wrong here, I tried to put in the following which would replicate having a four flush by the flop and catching the 5 card flush on either the turn OR the river of which the sum/formula is: Turn Number of unseen cards = (47) minus number of outs = (9) which totals to (38) then do 38/47 to = 0.808 or (80.8%) River Then the Number of unseen cards = (46) minus number of outs = ( which totals to (37) then do 37/46 to = 0.804 or (80.4%)

pokersavvy.com/…/calculating-poker-p…

2/3

3/20/2011

Calculating poker probabilities with a s…

(80.4%) Final Equation Then Times 0.808 x 0.804 to equal = 0.649 or (64.9%) Chance of NOT hitting your flush meaning a 35.1% Chance of hitting your flush (There or there abouts) on either the turn OR the river. However your formula in a spreadsheet shows the following..... Unknown Cards - 47 No. of Outs - 9 Cards to Draw - 2 Outs Needed - 1 Answer - 31.64% I tried to work it out but cant, any ideas whats wrong here??? As it shows 31.64% instead of 35.1% Rating: by martynardelli on September 23, 2010 (login to reply)

Login or register to post comments

marty, your calculation resulting in 35.1% includes those times when you hit your flush card on both the turn and river, whereas the spreadsheet calculation requires you must only hit one of your flush cards. Rating: by yekulrd on February 5, 2011 (login to reply)

Login or register to post comments

More at PokerSavvy | Poker Articles | Poker Videos |

expand topics

Site Map

|

Affiliate Program

© 2011 PokerSavvy. All Rights Reserved.

pokersavvy.com/…/calculating-poker-p…

3/3

View more...

Comments

Copyright ©2017 KUPDF Inc.