Page 1 of 24
AspenPlus Installation on Individual Computers Department of Chemical Engineering Texas Tech University. AspenTech products run as 32‐bit applications on 32‐bit Windows XP (SP3), 32‐bit Windows Vista, and 32‐bit and 64‐bit Windows 7 operating systems. 1. Obtain the AspenONE 7.3 DVD (Engineering DVD 1) installation files from the Department IT specialists ([email protected]
). You can obtain them in one of three ways. a. Bring a flash drive, hard drive, or computer to hold the files. Approximately 9 GB of space is required (~ 40 min transfer). b. Bring a blank dual layer DVD to the specialist and let him provide you a pre‐ burned copy of the software in return (1½ hr burn). c. Give the IT specialist $2 and let him provide you a pre‐burned copy of the software in return. 2. Install Microsoft SQL Server Express (Service Pack 3) prior to installing Aspen. Insert the Aspen Engineering DVD 1 into your computer’s DVD drive. Navigate to the folder \3rd Party Redistributables\Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP3. Click on the file SQLEXPR to install the database server. Follow the directions given by the installer.
Page 2 of 24
3. Follow the directions given by the installer until you get to the Feature Selection screen. Select the products as indicated in the image below. Click “Next”.
4. Click “Next” on the next two screens without changing any options. When you get to the Authentification Mode screen (below), select “Mixed Mode” and click “Next”.
Select Mixed Mode.
Page 3 of 24
5. Click “Next” on the next three screens without changing any options. SQL Server Express will install. When finished, you will see the screen below. Click “Next”, then “Finish” on the following screen. Installation of pre‐requisites for Aspen is now complete.
6. Now launch the Aspen Installer Program.
Page 4 of 24
8. After the AspenTech Installation browser loads up, select the “Products” tab.
9. A pop‐up will appear, indicating the need for a valid license. Select “OK”.
10. The Installer Configuration Wizard will pop up. Select “Next”.
Page 5 of 24
11. Select “License Server” for the license configuration type. Click on “Next”.
12. The “License Servers” window will pop up. Enter 18.104.22.168 in to the license server field. Click “Add Server”. Click “Next”.
a. Note: your computer must be able to “see” the Chemical Engineering license server in order for AspenPLUS to run. The license supports 150 simultaneous users, regardless of location.
Page 6 of 24
b. If you connect to TTUnet on campus, either wirelessly or with a wired connection, your computer will automatically find the server. c. If you connect from off‐campus through a third‐party Internet Service Provider, you must set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN), so that you can tunnel through the TTU firewall. d. Setting up a VPN only requires your Eraider username and password. The details on setting up a VPN to TTUnet are given on the Information Technology website at http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ithelpcentral/solutions/VPN/index.php. 13. The “Determining Product Licenses” window will pop up. When the installer completes its survey of the licenses on the server, click “Next”.
14. You will return to the Installation Browser, which will display the ASPEN Engineering Suite. For process simulation and modeling (Aspen Plus or Spen HYSIS), select Aspen Engineering and click on “Install”. For installation of heat exchanger design and rating tools and/or economic evaluation tools, click here.
Page 7 of 24
15. The ASPEN Engineering V7.3 Setup program will open. Click “Next”.
16. Accept the terms of the License Agreement and click “Next”.
Page 8 of 24
17. On the Computer Configuration Type window, select “Standard Install”.
18. In the window “Choose Destination Location”, confirm that you wish to use the default location, or browse to a different location. Click “Next”.
Page 9 of 24
19. In “Feature Selection for Aspen Engineering V7.3”, select the products you wish to install. The most common Aspen software used in the department is “Process Modeling (Aspen Plus). Other useful products are indicated in the screen shot below. Click “Next”.
20. The installer now checks if the proper SQL Server is running. If you see the following window, click Ok to continue installation. After Aspen installation completes, reinstall SQL Server Express 2005 and specify the “SQL Server Authentication Mode.” This is also known as the “Mixed Mode”
Page 10 of 24
21. The window “Choose Working Files Folder Location” will open. This is where your ASPEN simulations will be stored. Accept the default location or browse to an alternate location. Click “Next”.
22. A window should pop up asking to choose compilers for Aspen Properties, click “Next.”
Page 11 of 24
23. The next window will ask for username, password and domain, leave the fields blank and check the box that says “Skip username/password validation”, then select “Next.”
24. The “Ready to Install the Program” window will appear. Click “Install”.
Page 12 of 24
25. The installation dialog box will appear. It takes approximately 25 minutes to install the 4‐product suite indicated in No. 14 (page 9)onto a hard drive.
Page 13 of 24
26. When the installer has finished installing your chosen products, you will see the window below. Click “Finish”. Then click “Yes” on the following window to restart your computer.
Page 14 of 24
27. If at any time during the course of installing or using Aspen Plus you receive either of the following error dialogs, simply click OK and continue the installation. After the installation process is complete, change to legacy databanks, or reinstall SQL Server Express using “Mixed Mode”.
28. Upon completion of the installation, restart your computer as prompted by the installer.
Page 15 of 24
29. You are now ready to run AspenPLUS on your personal computer. From Windows, go to “Start”, “ All Programs”, “AspenTech”, “Process Modeling V7.3”, “AspenPlus”, then click on “AspenPlus User Interface”
30. The first time you run the software, you must select the server type. Choose local PC and save as the default connection.
Page 16 of 24
31. The first time you run the software, you must register as an academic user.
32. You will be see the Aspen Start up window, which gives you the options of opening a blank simulation, a template, an existing simulation, etc. Select one option and click “OK”.
Page 17 of 24
33. You can now run your simulation.
Page 18 of 24
Installing Heat Exchanger Design and Rating Tools. 34. To install heat exchanger design and rating tools, select “Aspen Engineering (Upgrade) and click “Install”.
35. Click “Next” when you see this window.
Page 19 of 24
36. Accept the license agreement.
37. Select “Standard Install”.
Page 20 of 24
Page 21 of 24
38. Select both products in the window below and click “Next”.
39. Click “Install” at the window below.
Page 22 of 24
40. The installation dialog box will appear. It takes approximately 16 minutes to install the 2‐product suite indicated in No. 38 (page 21) onto a hard drive.
41. Click “Finish” at the window below.
Page 23 of 24
42. The economic evaluation tools and the heat exchanger design and rating program can be accessed from the Start Menu as indicated below.
43. You may now use these tools.
Page 24 of 24
Removing the “Databanks Connection” error. 1BU
After installing Aspen, but prior to running Aspen Plus, change to legacy databanks. From Windows, go to “Start”, “ All Programs”, “AspenTech”, “Process Modeling V7.2”, “AspenPlus”, then click on “Aspen Properties Database Selector”
44. Select the ”Legacy Properties Databanks”, then click OK.
45. You can then run Aspen Plus without receiving a databank connection error. 46. Return to start of installation instructions or error dialog. HU