API 570 Exam
for api 570 Exam piping inspector...
API-570 Examination Preparation Course Practice Examination #6 Closed Book 1. What should be done at subsequent inspection of carbon steel piping circuits, in caustic service, that were originally stressed relieved? a) Brinell hardness tests should be performed at the first inspection interval b) Never hammer test these systems c) Perform magnetic particle examination for cracking d) These systems require inspections at more frequent. at least twice, intervals 2. The following thicknesses were obtaining at one test point in a thickness measurement location; 0.176”, 0.202”, 0.212”, and 0.218”. Which thickness should be used to calculate the corrosion rate, remaining life, and the next inspection date? a) 0.176” b) 0.202” c) 0.212” d) 0.218” 3. According to API RP-578, which of the following is the most correct statement regarding a positive material identification (PMI) testing program in a warehouse? a) Can be an alternative to PMI testing of a fabricated piping system b) Is only applicable to valves, flanges, fittings, and other small parts c) If the material test reports are supplied, then PMI testing at the warehouse is not necessary d) Warehouse PMI testing should never be regarded as an alternative to testing the fabricated piping system 4. All environmental cracking discovered during an in-service inspection should be evaluated by: a) A certified welding inspector (CWI) b) The API-570 piping inspector c) The piping engineer d) Operating personnel 5. According to B16.5, which of the following is not required to be marked on a flange? a) Manufacturer’s name or marking b) Pressure rating c) Material specification d) Temperature range
6. A piping system, located inside the boundary limits (ISBL) of an operating unit. contains hydrocarbons that would vaporize very slowly in the event of a release. What API-570 service classification should be assigned to this system? a) Class 1 b) Class 2 c) Class 3 d) Auxiliary 7. Of the following, what inspection method would be the most appropriate for inspecting a regenerator overhead duct for refractory damage? a) infrared thermography b) Special high temperature ultrasonic examination c) High temperature liquid penetrant d) Eddy current examination 8. Inspection of the concrete to air interface of buried piping shows deterioration of the caulking and may have allowed water to enter the interface area. The system was installed 15 years ago without cathodic protection. What should be done with this system? a) Break up the concrete and inspect for corrosion beneath the surface b) Just reseal the joint to prevent further water ingress c) Take thickness measurements on the piping six inches above the interface d) Inspect the joint at grade and take pit depth measurements 9. According to ASME Section IX, which of the following must be on every procedure qualification record (PQR)? a) The completed PQR shall address all essential and nonessential variables of the welding process b) The PQR shall be certified accurate by the manufacturer or contractor c) The joint design such as groove design, root spacing, etc. d) The minimum and maximum base metal thickness range qualified 10. How is the first thickness measurement interval established for newly installed piping systems? a) On stream determination after 2400 hours of service b) Using the actual thickness minus the minimum thickness and divide by two c) Owner/user’s experience with similar service d) Using the manufacturers corrosion rate calculations 11. In-service ultrasonic thickness measurements, of an NPS 30 vapor line, revealed thinning in the heat affected zone (HAZ) of an elbow to weld neck flange. During the next
scheduled downtime, which of the following would be the best method to determine the extent of deterioration? a) Profile radiography of the weld b) Internal inspection c) 100% radiography of the welds d) Ultrasonic A-scan of the elbow 12. Fasteners and components attached by threads or bolted to a piping system have a greater potential for: a) replacement with improper components b) brittle fracture of bolting materials c) chloride stress corrosion cracking d) carburization 13. Unless otherwise specified in API-570, NDE of repair or alteration welds shall be in accordance with: a) API RP 582 b) API RP 580 c) ASME Section VIII paragraph UW-51 d) The applicable code and the owner/user’s specification 14. The extent of positive material identification of alloy materials used for repairs or alterations shall be determined by the: a) API-570 certified inspector b) Material supplier c) The owner user d) The repair organization 15. When performing liquid penetrant examination on nickel based alloys, austenitic or duplex stainless steels, and titanium a certification of contaminant shall be obtained. Of the following which is not required by ASME Section V? a) Penetrant manufacturer’s numbers b) Test results c) The records shall be maintained in accordance with the referencing Code Section d) The name of the person performing the certification tests 16. What is a consideration in determining the amount if inspection of valves in a piping system? a) The inspection requirement depending on the piping class b) Random inspections to ensure a representative sample is being inspected
c) The number of TML on each valve d) Unusual thinning or corrosion noted during repairs or service 17. What is the pneumatic test pressure for a piping system designed for 300psi at 700°F with an allowable stress at design temperature of 15000psi and 20000psi at test temperature? a) 247psi b) 440psi c) 330psi d) 600psi 18. Historically, material non-conformances with the greatest number of serious consequences have involved: a) Stainless steel in Inconel piping systems b) Carbon steel components in stainless steel piping systems c) Carbon steel components in low alloy piping systems d) Low alloy components in stainless piping systems 19. According to API RP 574, which of the following is not one of the four specific items that should be used for a number or coding system identification? a) The original construction code b) The process unit c) The piping system d) The circuit 20. What is the corrosion rate for a TML that had base-line thickness measurement of 0.438” taken on May 31, 2000 and on June 1, 2006 thickness measurements at the same TML produced an actual thickness of 0.423? a) 0.0150” per year b) 0.0025” per year c) 0.0500” per year d) 0.0250” per year 21. API-570 states that an examiner: a) Must be an API-570 authorized inspector b) Must authorize all repair procedures and examination techniques prior to the completion of the work c) Does not have to be an API-570 authorized inspector d) Must evaluate the results of NDE on piping systems
22. Which of the following provides acceptable evidence that a radiographic examination technique is in accordance with ASME Section V? a) Personnel are certified to ASNT TC 1A b) Successful completion of the system pressure test c) Proof that the IQI and density are within the limits of the code d) Acceptable radiographic film images with no rejected defects in production and repair welds 23. A piping system has a calculated minimum required thickness of 0.380”. Based on the following thickness measurement information, what is the shortest remaining life of the piping system? Years of Operation 0 3 4 a) 7 years b) 3.5 years c) 2.5 years d) 5 years
Wall Thickness 0.455” 0.420” 0.415”
24. Which of the following need not be considered in specifying piping for original installation? a)Stresses caused by other loads b)Threads c)Corrosion allowance d)API 570 system classification 25. A bolt is considered fully engaged provided: a) It extends completely through the nut with a minimum of one thread exposed b) It extends completely through the nut with a minimum of two threads exposed c) It extends through the nut so it is no more than one thread short d) It extends through the nut so it is no more than two threads short 26. The owner decides to conduct a pneumatic pressure test in stead of a hydrostatic test. due to the installed piping system’s in ability to support the weight of liquid that would be used for the test. The system is designed for 300psi with an allowable stress value at design temperature of I 3000psi and 20000psi at test temperature. What is the acceptable pneumatic test pressure? a) 300psi b) 330psi c) 508psi
d) 690psi 27. What is the maximum production plate thickness qualified for a SMAW welding procedure specification if the test coupon thickness was 518”? a) 8.0” b) 1.5” c) 1.25” d) 0.625” 28. How often must the risk based inspection assessment for an API-570 Class I piping system, be made? a) Risk based inspection is not permitted on Class I systems b) Every three years c) Every five years d) Every ten years 29. A fillet welded external patch, to be installed over a piping system defect: a) Must be designed by a piping engineer b) Is never permitted c) Is considered a permanent repair d) Does not require rounded corners 30. Thickness measurements on a sulfuric acid piping circuit indicate severe internal wall loss just downstream of a flanged junction. The system is reported to be A-53 and the pipe is lined. Which of the following would you attribute the wall loss to? a) Wall thinning is expected in acid service b) The pipe manufacturer fabricated the pipe outside the permitted under tolerance c) The lining has failed d) Turbulence due to the flanged joint 31. Welded repairs are to be made on A-53 Gr. B pipe. The ambient temperature is below 32°F and the electrode diameter will not exceed 5/32”. Which of the following electrode must be used? a) No welding is permitted below 30°F b) Low Hydrogen c) Low alloy d) Low ductility 32. An imperfection of a type or magnitude exceeding the acceptable criteria is known as a/an:
a)Discontinuity b)fIaw c) Indication d) defect 33. Which of the following fluid services is specifically API-570 applicable to? a) Raw, intermediate, and finished petroleum products b) Category ‘D” fluid service as defined in ASME B3 1.3 c) condensate d) utility streams 34. What would be the most appropriate action for an inspector to take when inspection reveals that the pipe shoes on a line have moved off the primary supports and are hanging on the beams? This is preventing the line to return to its cold position. a) Have the shoes replaced with longer shoes b) Consult a piping engineer to evaluate the stresses in the pipe c) Recommend anchors and stops in the piping support system d) Specify a re-design of the supports to permit more movement 35. What is the permitted temperature variance between the calibration block and the part to be examined in ultrasonic examination? a) 125°F b) 100°F c) 25°F d) 0°F 36. In pipe caps, corroded areas evidenced by local thinning: a) May be ignored in small bore piping b) May be ignored provided they are less than 10% of total area of the cap c) May be evaluated using the principles of API-579 d) May be ignored provided they do not decrease the cap thickness more than 50% of the original thickness 37. Actual measured thickness is 0.35”, the minimum required thickness is 0.25”, and the corrosion rate has been determined to be 0.0025” per year. When is the next thickness measurement required to be scheduled on this Class 3 piping system? a) Three years b) Five years c) Ten years d) Fifteen years
38. “A groove in the base metal at the toe of the weld” is the definition of which of the following? a) Incomplete penetration b) Lack of sidewall fusion c) Incomplete filling of the weld root d) Undercut 39. Which inspection technique is most appropriate for a Class 1, NPS 1, carbon steel piping system, and that operates at 200°F? a) Ultrasonic thickness measurements b) Pressure testing c) Eddy current testing d) Radiographic profile 40. Which of the following is not a requirement for acceptance of a final closure weld in a modified system piping that will be pressure tested? a) Liquid penetrant or magnetic particle examination of the root pass and completed weld b) The closure weld must be a full penetration c) The piping engineer shall perform finite element analysis of the weld d) The rest of the new piping must be pressure tested 41. Carbon steel piping systems are most susceptible to corrosion under insulation when they operate within which of the following temperature ranges? a) Between -20°F and 250°F b) Between 25°F and 250° F c) Between 150°F and 250°F d) Between 150°F and 400°F 42. An in service piping system is being re-classified to Class 1. The previous interval, for thickness measurements, was 6 years. Given the following, what should the new thickness measurement interval be? No RBI was performed. Current measured thickness: 0.240” Minimum required thickness: 0.192” Projected corrosion rate: 0.008” per year a) 6 years b) 3 years c) 12 years d) 1.5 years
43. Notch toughness testing is to be performed in the qualification of a welding procedure. Which of the following notch toughness testing method is used for compliance with ASME B31.3? a) Brinell test b) Impact test c) Guided bend test d) Hydrostatic test 44. Flammable petroleum process piping systems may be classified as Class 3 provided the system contains: a) Finished product being pumped to a remote booster station b) Waste gas used to fuel an on site heater c) On site naphtha with no hydrogen sulfide d) Anhydrous hydrogen chloride 45. Substituting nondestructive examination for a pressure test following an alteration: a) Is never permitted b) Generally acceptable c) Requires consultation with the inspector and piping engineer d) Must comply with B31.3 46. With regard to new connections, being installed in an existing piping system, which of the following is the correct statement? a) These connections are always considered an alteration b) Full radiography is required c) They must be located downstream of any control valve d) They shall be designed in accordance with the applicable Code 47. An NPS 4piping system was installed in June 1989. At the time of installation, baseline thickness measurements indicated the pipe wall to be 0.24”. In January of 1998 thickness measurements revealed a wall thickness of 0.22” and six months later thickness measurements were taken again with a resulting wall thickness of .20”. The January 2006 inspection revealed the wall thickness to be .19”. Based on this information, what is the long term corrosion rate? a) 0.00l”peryear b) 0.002” per year c) 0.003” per year d) 0.040” per year 48. Ultrasonic thickness measurement accuracy is affected by all but which of the following?
a) Temperature above 150F b) External coating c) Thickness greater than 1/8” d) Instrument calibration 49. Under certain conditions, environmental cracking of carbon steel can occur in the presence of: a) Chloride b) Amine c) Naphthenic acid d) Polythionic acid 50. During the inspection of a section of buried piping, a trench eight feet deep is dug to expose the pipe. Prior to personnel entering the trench to take thickness measurements, which of the following must be done? a) Conduct soil resistivity survey within ten feet of the excavation b) Ensure the walls of the trench are properly shored c) Conduct a liquid pressure test d) Clean all loose paint and scale off the entire length of exposed pipe 51. Which of the following is cause for rejection of the “B” image on an RT film? a) Any image b) No image c) Dark image d) Light image 52. Which of the following would be best suited for finding an obstruction in piping? a) Magnetic particle examination b) Acoustic emission testing c) Radiography d) Ultrasonic 53. What is the maximum interval for thickness measurements when risk based inspection methods are not used? a) Three years b) Five years c) Ten years d) Determined by piping classification 54. According to Section IX, welders who pass the required tests in the 6-G position are qualified for:
a) Groove and fillet welds only in the 6-G position b) Groove and fillet welds in all positions c) Groove welds in the 6-G position and fillet welds only in the 2-G position d) Groove welds only in the 2-0 position and fillet welds in all positions 55. According to ASME B31.3 and API-570, hydrostatic tests shall be held for: a) Not more that 10 minutes b) Not less than 10 minutes c) Not more than one hour d) Not less than one hour 56. Localized pitting may be temporarily repaired using a fillet weld patch providing: a) The minimum specified yield strength of the pipe material is 40000psi c) The maximum size of the patch is 50% of the required thickness 57. In radiographic examination, the image quality indicator is selected based on which of the following? a) Size of the IQI hole in the hole type b) Diameter of the wire in the wire type c) Source to film distance d) Thickness of the material welded 58. According to API-570, when detecting interior surface breaking planar flaws, when inspecting from the external surface, the owner/user shall specify: a) Industry qualified UT shear-wave examiners b) Industry qualified UT straight-beam examiners c) Level II RT examiners d) Level II PT examiners 59. Which of the following piping systems is excluded from API-570? a) Primary process piping systems less than NPS 2 b) Secondary process piping systems greater than NPS 6 c) Flare piping d) Firewater piping 60. When corrosion product buildup is noted at pipe support contact areas. lifting off such supports may be required for inspection. What should be done as a minimum? a) Exercise care if the piping system is in service
b) Take the piping system out of service c) The area must be abrasive blast cleaned to permit proper inspection d) As long as no leakage is evident lifting of the pipe is not recommended 61. According to ASME Section V, how are wire type IQIs to be placed? a) On the weld so that the length of the wire is parallel to the weld b) On the weld so that the length of the wire is perpendicular to the weld c) Adjacent to the weld so that the length of the wire is parallel to the weld d) Adjacent to the weld so that the length of the wire is perpendicular to the weld 62. Under which circumstance may a welder be qualified by a RT of a production weld in stead of on a coupon? a) When the welder’s first 12” of production weld pass RT b) Welders can not be qualified this way for pipe welding c) When the welders first 6” of production weld pass RT d) When the welder’s first 6” of production weld pass RT and he only welds SBP piping systems 63. Which of the following type of valve would make pigging impossible? a) Ball valve b) Gate valve c) Globe valve d) Slide valve 64. What type of document is ASNT Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A? a) Standard set of NDE procedures that are pre-qualified b) Document covering NDE personnel qualifications c) Document covering NDE procedures d) Document covering safety procedures for owner/users 65. In reviewing the previous inspection report, you discover that the corrosion rate was calculated incorrectly. What rate must be used for the next inspection period? a) The rate should be changed to the actual rate found b) The rate should be based on the short term rate from the report c) The rate should be based on the average short and long term rates from the report d) No action is necessary until the corrosion rate is confirmed at the next inspection 66. According to API-570 and ASME B31.3, welding shall not be performed if the weld area is: a) Below 40’F
b) Above 120°F c) In an inert atmosphere d) Frosted or wet 67. API-570 recommends that the surface conditions of buried pipeline paths be visually surveyed at what interval? a) 6 months b) 12 months c) 18 months d) Based on the soil corrosivity 68. When the corrosion rate for a piping system cannot be determined by similar service. initial thickness measurements should be taken within: a) 3 months b) 6 months c) 9 months d) 12 months 69. A piping system used in vapor service requires pressure testing. The supports for this system were not designed for a hydrostatic test. Which of the following is an acceptable alternative to the hydrostatic test? a) Sensitive leak test b) Pneumatic test c) Vacuum test d) UT shear-wave of all welds 70. A crack repair can be considered permanent if: a) A full encirclement split sleeve is installed per API-570 b) The piping component is pressure tested to 1.5 times the MAWP c) The weld groove completely removes the defect and is then filled with weld metal d) A box type enclosure is installed 71. Which if the following metals is most susceptible to severe metal loss under high velocity conditions? a) Aluminum and copper b) 300 series stainless steel c) Monel d) Titanium 72. What is the wall thickness value to be used when recalculating the MAWP of an inservice piping system?
a) The actual thickness measured b) The actual thickness measured minus the estimated corrosion loss before the next inspection c) The actual thickness measured minus twice the estimated corrosion loss before the next inspection d) The actual thickness measured minus four times the estimated corrosion loss before the next inspection 73. In radiography, location markers that are to appear as radiographic images shall be placed: a) On the back of the film holder b) On or adjacent to the weld next to the IQI c) Between the film and the part being radiographed d) On the part being radiographed 74. Piping inspection records that provide design information and drawings shall be updated prior to: a) Re-rating the piping system b) Completion of a hydrostatic test c) Repair a portion of the system that corroded to below minimum thickness d) Taking thickness measurements on the piping system 75. In addition to the inspector’s authorization, alterations on a piping system must be approved by alan: a) Unit inspector b) Maintenance supervisor c) Piping engineer d) Lead operator 76. Welds on in-service piping systems are often inspected for corrosion using: a) Liquid penetrant examination b) Profile RT c) Straight beam ultrasonic d) Magnetic particle 77. Brittle fracture failure is usually not a concern with which of the following piping? a) 400 series stainless b) Large bore c) Relatively heavy walled d) Relatively thin walled
78. According to ASME Section V, what is the film density range for single film viewing for radiographs made with a gamma ray source? a) .05 to 4.0 b) 1.3 to 4.0 c) 1.8 to 4.0 d) 2.0 to 4.0 79. When establishing TMLs in an inject circuit, which of the following is the most important? a) Downstream from the injected fluid on the pipe wall b) 12 feet upstream of the injection point c) On the injection nozzle before the injection occurs d) 25 feet downstream from the second change in flow direction 80. What are the three “zones” of a weldment? a) Weld metal, fusion line, heat affected b) Weld metal, heat affected, and base metal c) Weld metal, heat affected, and residual stress d) Weld root, intermediate passes. and weld cap or crown 81. Completed repairs and alterations of in-service piping systems must be approved by the: a) Repair organization b) API-570 certified inspector c) Piping engineer in accordance with API-570 d) Certified inspector and a piping engineer 82. With regard to inadvertent substitution of non-specified material, which of the following is least susceptible? a) Bolting b) Warm-up lines c) Small diameter piping (SBP) d) Large diameter piping 83. With regard to the frequency and extent of inspection, what is the classification of piping systems usually based on? a) Severity of consequences resulting from a component failure b) Potential for revenue loss due to unscheduled maintenance shutdowns c) Pressure and temperature of the fluid handled d) Age of the limiting component and the likelihood of component failure
84. API-570 states that potable water should be used in hydrostatic testing of which of the following materials? a) 5Cr-.5Mo b) 300 series stainless c) Carbon steel d) Monel 85. TML readings on a piping system indicate that the corrosion rate has increased. The inspector’s most appropriate response is to: a) Recalculate the piping circuit average corrosion rate b) Schedule the next inspection within six months c) Report the change to the maintenance department d) Recalculate the inspection interval of the system 86. Which of the following is most correct regarding the placement of TMLs during inspection of small bore threaded connections? a) TMLs are not mandatory for small bore threaded connections b) TMLs are not required on insulated piping above 300SF c) Choose only the TMLs that can be radiographed during scheduled inspections d) Choose only the TMLs that can have insulation plugs removed during scheduled inspections 87. Of the following who can approve exceptions to preheat temperature used in making repairs? a) The inspector b) The owner/user c) The piping engineer d) A metallurgist 88. On buried piping. Generally, the lower the soil resistivity, the: a) Lower the potential for soil moisture retention b) The greater the inspection interval c) Higher the external corrosion rate d) Less need for cathodic protection 89. Deformation of a pressure vessel wall, in the vicinity of a pipe attachment, is noticed during an inspection. What is the most appropriate action to take? a) Notify the pressure vessel inspector that he/she may have a problem and forget it b) Recommend an immediate shutdown of the unit c) Check for piping misalignment
d) Verify the allowable deformation in accordance with ASME Section VIII, Div. I 90. Local PWHT may be considered for piping repairs under all of the following conditions except when the: a) Material has higher than 9% chrome b) Piping system is greater than NPS 12 c) Thickness of the piping wall is greater than 0.5” d) PWHT is for environmental cracking 91. RT Profile examination of an in-service piping system reveals crack like indications. Which of the following would normally be included during further inspection? a) Internal visual inspection b) Liquid penetrant examination c) Wet fluorescent magnetic particle examination d) Weld quality RT, UT. or both 92. Holiday surveys are used to evaluate: a) Need for coating repairs b) The effectiveness of cathodic protection c) Coating thickness d) The need for additional anodes 93. When an area of metal loss, that exceeds the corrosion allowance, it should be evaluated in accordance with the principles of which of the following? a) API-579 b) ASME Section VIII, Division I c) ASME B3l.3 d) ASME Section VIII, Division 2 94. Inspection of Class 2 secondary process small bore piping is: a) Performed at the same intervals as Class 2 primary piping b) Outside the scope of API-570 c) Performed at the same intervals as injection points d) Optional 95. In field positive material identification activity, all of the following methods may be used except: a) X-ray fluorescent analyzers b) Chemical spot testing c) Wet fluorescent magnetic particle
d) Optical spectrographic 96. Which of the following would not be appropriate for measuring skin temperature of hot spots in piping systems? a) Temperature indicating paints b) High temperature ultrasonic examination c) Thermography d) Portable thermocouple 97. The approval of a piping engineer is not required when: a) Pressure testing after repairs b) Repairing damaged areas with full encirclement welded split sleeves c) Re-rating a piping system d) Applying pre-heat in lieu of PWHT 98. Unless risk-based inspection methods are used, visual external inspection of piping systems should be conducted at no more than which of the following intervals? a) Five years for Class I or Class 2 systems b) Five years for Class 3 systems c) Ten years for Class 2 systems d) Three years for Class 1 systems